Age UK Solihull has been commissioned by Solihull Council to provide a Direct Payments Information and Advice Service. We want to make your life easier by giving you the knowledge and skills to manage your Direct Payment and employer responsibilities effectively.
How can we help?
The Direct Payments Information and Advice Service is based across the two Solihull Community Advice Hubs and supports residents and carers of the Solihull Borough.
Whether you are already receiving direct payments or are still trying to decide if the scheme is going to be suitable for you, the Direct Payments Team are here to answer your queries. They offer advice on:
- Thinking about your support needs
- Applying for a Direct Payment
- Managing your Direct Payment
- Finding a care agency or recruiting a Personal Assistant
- Meeting your responsibilities and legal obligations as an employer
- Managing your money through external payroll services
Contact the Direct Payments Team
Telephone: 0121 709 7591
Visit us: Community Advice Hub Solihull Tuesday 10am to 2:00pm
Community Advice Hub Chelmsley Wood - by appointment only
What is a Direct Payment?
Direct Payments are monetary payments made to individuals who request to receive one to meet some or all of their eligible care and support needs. Carers may also be eligible for direct payments. A direct payment is not a benefit and does not affect any benefits that you receive.
Direct Payments can be made to:
- disabled people aged 16 or over (with short or long term needs)
- disabled parents for children's services
- cares aged 16 or over (including people with parental responsibility for a disabled child)
- older people who need community care services
What are the advantages of a Direct Payment?
- More choice and control of your care package
- You can choose who works for you
- You can arrange times with them to suit you
- You have more say in what tasks they do
- It's more flexible as you can move your hours if necessary
- You can pick and choose services which best suit your needs.
Direct Payments can be administered through Managed Accounts or through a Pre-Paid Card. Managed Accounts for Solihull Council residents are managed by Ideal for All.
If you are disabled, care for someone else, or would like more information about direct payments, you can visit the Solihull MyLife Portal